Wednesday 9 October 2013

La Boqueria Market, Barcelona

Upon entering a food market regardless of its size or location I become incredibly excited as I imagine all foodies do. For me, it's to do with the buzz of people, the creativity one can engage in when looking at all of the fresh ingredients and the passion held by the different traders around the produce they are selling. La Boqueria Market in Barcelona is arguably the best food market in the world, I personally think so, making it one of Barcelona's top attractions for both tourists and locals alike.

/
Entrance to La Boqueria
Although evidence of a market has existed within this area of the city for almost 800 years selling everything from pigs to groceries, however the market as it stands now has been around since 1853, initially predominantly selling fish (still a real joy to see today) and then a few years later expanding to butchers and groceries.

Deli Counter
Burger stall
BBQ kebab trader
Among the many varieties of traders in La Boqueria many of the offerings are selling meat produce. From the traditional delicatessen stores with their offerings of jamon iberico, to butchers selling everything from joints of meat to homemade burgers, and kitchens serving up meat kebabs, croquettes and fried goods.

Fish and Shellfish
As I just mentioned, the fish section of the market its quite possibly the most impressive area. Set in a circular ice display, it is fish and shellfish heaven. I have no idea how one would possibly choose which producer to buy from, but I have never seen such a wonderful display of seafood, it certainly made me wish I lived in the area so I could work my way around all of the bits and pieces.

Cheese Monger
Egg stall
There are also a number of stalls miscellaneous stalls; the most wonderful cheese stalls offering cheese from all over the world, stalls consisting completely of eggs (because well...why not?!), some of the most incredibly beautiful bottles of olive oil I have ever seen and also pastry stations consisting of both sweet and savoury take away bites (I sampled a butternut squash, feta and pine nut one which was delicious).

Olive Oils

Pastry Deli
I have to say for me though the stalls which I find the most appealing are the plain and simple grocery stalls. Bursting with stunning colour and the freshest fruit and vegetables they stand out like glimmering jewels in the busy aisles. There are also a huge variety to choose from also - from dozens of types of wild mushrooms, to fruit which wouldn't look out of place on the set of a sci-fi movie!

One of many grocer stalls
To end on a sweet note there are also plenty of stalls to satisfy any sugary cravings you may have whilst wandering around. Some of the most popular and definitely most eye-catching stalls are the ones filled top to bottom with sweeties of all shapes and sizes.

Sweetie stall
If visiting Barcelona I'm sure you will visit La Rambla, with La Boqueria positioned right along this famous street, you really have no excuses not to pop in to sample some of the delicious foods on offer! Whether you fancy a larger snack in one of the sit down bar style tapas restaurants, or just smaller bites as you walk around I guarantee you will not be disappointed. It is a real feast for the senses and far and above one of my favourite places to visit in Barcelona.

1 comment: